President's Letter: New Year

Thursday, January 01, 2015

“I have the opportunity, once more to right some wrongs,
to pray for peace, to plant some trees,
and sing more joyful songs.” 
—William Arthur Ward


Peery School Student, Sathya K., Assistant in Sapphire House. 2014 Photo Credit: Berlyn Slemboski

As a New Year begins I want to express sincere gratitude for your support of Rising Star Outreach. Supporting our programs is a vote of confidence in what we are doing, and we look forward to another year of providing the very best assistance to those affected by leprosy through these remarkable programs.


The mission of Rising Star–to help the leprosy colonies become thriving, self-sufficient communities–is accomplished with three major initiatives:

  • Using micro-grants to provide economic rehabilitation
  • Providing medical care
  • Giving opportunities to students to become productive citizens of India through education


    This month Tyler Vigue, Executive Director at Rising Star Outreach, prepared a report about these initiatives and included information about the Sponsorship and Volunteer programs. Click here to see the report! Because of the diligence and hard work of our amazing India and USA staff, Rising Star continues to be an effective and efficient organization!


    If you've ever wondered about who the students are that we help at Rising Star Outreach, here's a brief message from one of our students!

    Krishnamoorthy's School Photo


    "This is me :) I am Krishnamoorthy. I'm in 10th Standard in Rising Star Outreach. My family lives in Krishnagiri district. My sister is married, and my younger brother is doing his 7th Std with me in Rising Star Outreach. My favorite subjects are Science and Math. My ambition is to become a doctor because I like to serve the society. I always look forward to learning something new. I also participate in all the sports events conducted in school. My favorite games are volleyball and cricket. I am a good opening batsman in the cricket team. I love playing musical instruments like the guitar and the drums. My favorite hobby is listening to music. I have also started learning classical music because of my interest in it."

    January 25 is World Leprosy Day! This special day raises awareness of leprosy as a 21st century disease and helps those around the world focus on the needs of some of the poorest and most marginalized people in the world—those affected by leprosy. Share the mission of Rising Star with your friends, sponsor a child, donate to one of our initiatives, or sign up to volunteer with us this year! With your assistance Rising Star can continue its work of transforming and lifting lives. You make it possible to“right some wrongs, pray for peace, plant some trees, and sing more joyful songs.”   


    Happy 2015!


    Sally

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    recent posts

    Twitter

    Amazon Smile